Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gavin Newsom in Santa Ana College! Newsom for Governor


Gavin and I after the Town Hall Meeting

First blog in a while! I’ve been busy with moving and remodeling and all kinds of other fun stuff.


So last night San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom was at Santa Ana College for his first Town Hall meeting here in Orange County. It was awesome to say the least. I saw Gavin Newsom give a speech at last year’s ECCO Awards Dinner but I never got to meet him until last night.


For those who read my blog and don’t know who Gavin is, he is the Mayor of San Fran and is running for California Governor in 2010. His big issue last year was making sure Prop 8 (or as I like to call it “Prob 8”) failed. You may remember him in the right winged commercial ads urging people to vote YES on Prop 8. They showed a video clip of him saying, “Whether you like it or not”, in regards to gay marriage.


There is something about a man who is willing to stand up for the gay community and have the courage to say, “This is wrong.” Unfortunately, Prop 8 was passed. But this man won’t stop there. He is going to go all the way to the Capital to make sure California gets on the right track.


Gavin’s platform is sterling. Gay marriage rights, California school reform, health care reform, and the issue of poverty are some of his biggest talking points. Gavin’s ideas for school make the most sense to me, as I want to run for Fountain Valley School District. So how do we fix the school problem? Better pre-school programs that everyone can get in on! A pre K-6 grade plan sounds the most interesting. He said it himself that to give our kids a good education we have to give them a good head start.


The other idea I thought was awesome was the Arts Education Program. I remember Art Ed in school, once a month someone would come to our class for about a week or so and teach us about a famous artist. After we learned about the artist our assignment was to create a piece of art in the style of that artist. Not only was it education and mind expanding, it was a lot of fun and kept our attention. But that program no longer exists in some places. I’m pretty damn sure Fountain Valley is one of those places that no longer have that program.


I actually got to meet the man and shake his hand. I also got a picture with him. He is one hell of a guy and I support his run for Governor.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Type comments here...